Sunday, April 13, 2008

Leatherheads

I really like George Clooney and I really like Renee Zellweger ... but ... this was only an okay movie, some funny moments ... clever story ... but it never really got off the ground.

Zellweger had a great part, and played it well - sharp-tongued and brash, full of spit and vinegar.

Clooney has the capacity to make fun of himself, but I wasn't quite sure where it was going to go. I've seen him funnier, and I've seen him play himself with a little more panache. Oh well.

Jonathan Pryce plaid a semi-scummy character, but lacked the sinister greed to make this character a bit more colorful.

A relatively minor role - the first football commissioner (Jack Thompson) had some character to it - tough and commanding, making it clear that he held all the cards in the new game.

Jonathan Krisinski did a fine job of playing Carter Rutherford, a Princeton grad and a "war hero" - with a story bigger than it was. This was a serious thread running through an otherwise comedic film. Krisinski handled it thoughtfully. We will see more of him.

Overall, I couldn't find enough energy in it.