Friday, January 20, 2017

"The Founder"

This was a fine peace of work, and Michael Keaton, wide-eyed and determined, reveals the ligaments of dreams and power - it's all a mixed bag - wreckage left in his wake, an empire built, families disrupted, and in the end, money - money given to the Salvation Army and NPR (go figure). 

The entire cast is superb - the costumes and settings capture the feel of the times.

And I learned that Grand Rapids, MI was one of the very first in the new chain, and it was in GR, when I moved there in the fall of 1959, I remember my first trip there - going up to the window, the 15-cent burgers and 10-cent fries - I remember standing there and eating. Wow. I was 15 and in 10th grade.

Enjoying the story, feeling some of Kroc's enormous frustration in trying to find himself, and the constant anxiety of going on a limb, I found myself encouraged - persistence is the key, always. And clear-headed thinking and goals, too. 

But, in a sense, woe to those who achieve their dreams. The feel of the movie is morally ambiguous, which is pretty much the whole of life.

A movie for the times ... live and learn.

No comments: